This placement will see me based at the University of Melbourne working with some of their 31 amazing museum collections. I will be undertaking several different projects with these collections to further develop my curatorial and collections managment skills . . . I know I'm going to have lots of fun along the way too!!

Wednesday 11 July 2012

Potter project!

Preparing for a day researching objects at the Potter

Looking at the detail on a very handsome Egyptian shabti
I'm really starting to settle into my rountine here in Melbourne. It's now my 2nd week and I'm really enjoying my projects. My Tuesdays are spent working at the Ian Potter Museum of Art (nothing to do with Harry Potter as my Dad mentioned in an email from home!) researching Egyptian objects from their Classics and Archaeology Collection. Working with objects really is my passion and I feel very lucky that the placement organisers and team at the Potter have been so accomodating to my personal interests. They have such a range a collections here that any prospective applicant of the award with a specific area of interest would be welcomed! Although I have an obvious love of objects my other projects (with the Print Collection, conservation work, and organising a children's activity for the upcoming cultural festival weekend) have all developed my skills in the wider scope of museums and collections. I have learnt so much already and I'm only just about halfway through the placement!

No comments:

Post a Comment