This placement will see me based at the University of Melbourne working with some of their 31 amazing museum collections. I will be undertaking several different projects with these collections to further develop my curatorial and collections managment skills . . . I know I'm going to have lots of fun along the way too!!

Sunday 1 July 2012

On the other side of the pond

With Emily Wubben during my 'tour of the city'
Finally arrived in Melbourne early on Saturday morning and have almost caught up with the jet lag. I had a lovely tour around the city with a previous Melbourne winner of the award, Emily Wubben, and her mum - they showed me where my projects will be based on the University of Melbourne campus and, very importantly, how to use the city's tram system! /I had an introductory session at Cultural Collections today with Helen Arnoldi, my supervisor, filling me in on who I would be working with and providing me with a timetable. Everything has been really well organised for me and everyone has been so welcoming and friendly - I think I'm going to really enjoy my time here. The city has a fanastic cultural atmosphere with so many galleries, exhibitions and lectures to fill any gaps in my time; I do not think I will get easily bored! I'm off to my first day at the Ian Potter Museum of Art (http://www.art-museum.unimelb.edu.au) tomorrow to begin my project with the Classics Collections . . . cannot wait to see behind the scenes!

No comments:

Post a Comment