This placement will see me based at the University of Melbourne working with some of their 31 amazing museum collections. I will be undertaking several different projects with these collections to further develop my curatorial and collections managment skills . . . I know I'm going to have lots of fun along the way too!!

Saturday 7 July 2012

Exploring the city in the sunshine!

View of the south bank

Front of the NGV
Lovely weather for my first weekend here in Melbourne; not too cold and sunny all day without a cloud in the sky! I thought I would explore the city a bit more, so I got a tram into the city centre (after purposely not setting my alarm early so I could finally get rid of the remnants of horrid jetlag!) I took some lovely photos overlooking the Yarra River by Flinders Street Station and then I visited the National Gallery of Victoria to see their current exhibition 'Napoleon: Revolution to Empire'. Having never really had an interest (or every been taught) anything about this area of history before I didn't know whether I would enjoy the exhibition, but I must say it was fantastic! Beautiful artwork shown alongside an array of weaponry, clothing and furniture dating from the 1780's through Napoleon's Empire. The displays were set out really well, with clear labels and text panels telling the chronological story through the French Revolution to Napoleon's final exile and death. I have booked to see another exhibition at Museums Victoria about ancient Mesopotamia and judging by today's visit I'm sure that will be amazing too!

No comments:

Post a Comment